Arts Universe and Philology

Arts Universe and Philology
The blog "Art, Universe, and Philology" is an online platform dedicated to the promotion and exploration of art, science, and philology. Its owner, Konstantinos Vakouftsis, shares his thoughts, analyses, and passion for culture, the universe, and literature with his readers.

Τετάρτη 2 Απριλίου 2014

Απρίλιος. April

Henri-Edmond Cross, Cypress, April, 1904.

To “April” είναι το τελευταίο κομμάτι από τον δίσκο Deep Purple III που κυκλοφόρησε το 1969. Έχει διάρκεια 12 λεπτών και θα μπορούσε να πει κανείς πως χωρίζεται θεματικά σε τρία διακριτά μέρη.

Τα δυο πρώτα έχουν ύφος κλασικής μουσικής, ενώ στο τρίτο μέρος το συγκρότημα επιστρέφει στην θεμελιώδη ροκ κατάστασή του, όπου ακούγονται οι στίχοι του Jon Lord:

April is a cruel time(*)
Even though the sun may shine
And world looks in the shade as it slowly comes away
Still falls the April rain
And the valley’s filled with pain
And you can’t tell me quite why
As i look up to the grey sky
Where it should be blue
Grey sky where I should see you
Ask why, why it should be so
I’ll cry, say that I don’t know
Maybe once in a while I’ll forget and I’ll smile
But then the feeling comes again of an April without end
Of an April lonely as they come
In the dark of my mind I can see all too fine
But there is nothing to be done when I just can’t feel the sun
And the springtime’s the season of the night
Grey sky where it should be blue
Grey sky where I should see you
Ask why, why it should be so
I’ll cry, say that I don’t know
I don’t know

Pieter Bruegel the Elder, The Triumph of Death, c. 1562, oil on panel, 117 cm × 162 cm (46 in × 63.8 in), Museo del Prado, Madrid.

(*) Ο στίχος αυτός είναι σχεδόν πανομοιότυπος με τον πρώτο στίχο της Έρημης Χώρας (The Waste Land) που έγραψε ο Τ. S. Eliot το 1922:

“April is the cruelest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.
Winter kept us warm, covering
Earth in forgetful snow, feeding
A little life with dried tubers…”

Ο Γιώργος Σεφέρης που μετέφρασε στα ελληνικά την Έρημη Χώρα απέδωσε τους παραπάνω στίχους ως εξής:

“Ο Απρίλης είναι ο μήνας ο σκληρός, γεννώντας
Μες απ’ την πεθαμένη γη τις πασχαλιές, σμίγοντας
Θύμηση κι επιθυμία, ταράζοντας
Με τη βροχή της άνοιξης ρίζες οκνές.
Ο χειμώνας μας ζέσταινε, σκεπάζοντας
Τη γη με το χιόνι της λησμονιάς, θρέφοντας
Λίγη ζωή μ’ απόξερους βολβούς…”

Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:

Δημοσίευση σχολίου